Friday 7 January 2011

10 Things I Love About PRIDE Magazine!

Simply because top 10s are always fun.

10 Verge Magazine
Ok, it might seem strange to begin an ode to Pride with a reference to another publication, but hear me out. I dig that Verge is bubbling away on the top floor of Pride House. Simmering and almost done, this student publication has a very cool team cooking up a treat that is set to be HUGE! Mark my words...

9 Postal Staff
They don't come friendlier than the delivery guys at Pride. It must be a contractual stipulation.

8 The building and location
An easy commute to Battersea takes me 25 minutes tops, and the cosy office is always so welcoming. The vertical layout of the building is cool too - going up two flights of stairs for a pee, then down another to the office, one more to the front door, then a final two to the kitchen (phew, mops brow) is a nice bit of exercise. Plus the contstant clunk of footsteps makes you feel like you're in a (very poor) spy movie.

7 The slightly dodgy intern Mac


Ah, me and this eratic machine have come to understand each other. Whether unexpectedly freezing, refusing to send emails or deleting all my work, I have learnt that patience is key. I ain't mad at you old friend; All relationships have their ups and downs, and when you're good, you're really really good.

6 Publisher's Letter
Oh yes, this page of the mag never fails. If I'm honest, I usually skip these things, as they tend to fit one of two categories: an unecessary summary of the contents page, or a bizarre stream of consciousness that, although well-meaning, has very little to do with the rest of the publication. Pride's Publisher CJ Cushnie, however, has mastered the artform of intro letters; not many could incorporate the Mandella quote "Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies" into the first page of a women's mag. One word: skills.

5 Inner Spirit
I love that the mag dedicates a section to Gospel music and Christian events - religion is scarcely represented in mainstream media, so it's cool that this hasn't been phased out to follow suit.

4 Interesting and varied tasks


I am kept blissfully busy at Pride, whether researching, collecting vox-pops in bustling Clapham Junction, interviewing and transcribing, or writing copy for the entertainment pages. It's an amazing buzz and I love love love the fact that all my work actually gets used! (all my interns in the house, I know you feel me)I even got a credit on the contents page. Brap!

3 Shevelle's laugh
The Fashion and beauty editor has the cheekiest, most unabashed and joy-filled chuckle I've heard in ages. Always cracking up about something, Shevella-ella-ella has a laugh as distinct as her mean shoe-game (try leopard print platforms studded with gold spikes all over. Exactly, you ain't ready).

2 Real-talk Afua
Features Editor extroardinaire, Ms. Afua Adom has a sense of humour exceeded only by her journalistic flair. If you don't find her funny, there is something seriously and incurably wrong with you.

1 Jobama!!

Aaaah, Mojo-Jojo!!! Andy Warhol would be proud.

The lady who gave me a chance. I wouldn't even be up in the Pride towers if it weren't for the wonderful Entertainment Editor that is Joanna Abeyie. I'm so grateful she let me come on board for what has been the best internship of my young journalstic career to date; a sweet lady with a panchant for squirrels (private joke), it has been a joy assiting her in work. I have a feeling we'll be working together again in the future...hopefully before she makes it to the White House (another private joke).

Tope 10 done.

PS. My first full feature for Pride will be in the March issue. Yippee! :D

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I can't seem to find any contact details on your site so I am leaving a message here.
    I have a request and would be really grateful if you could get in touch. my email is mydailycuppa@gmail.com

    Thank you so much

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete