Monday 29 November 2010

Work Experience: Company Magazine

Company Magazine. A memorable mix of fashion, beauty, and the fashionably beautiful.



It’s the campaigning heart of Company that I find so inspiring – admittedly the other stuff kind of blows by me – amidst a bunch of fabulous stylistas my lack of fashion-forwardness may have been more than mildly offensive.



However, Catch22 put me here to work, not to “work it honey!”

Let the journalism begin.



Week one consisted of researching for the FYI section of the magazine - a quick run-down of the best ways to spend your time out and about, at home or online. I also spent a whole day trying to track down the tie from Channel 4 show The Inbetweeners; as modelled below:



Thanks guys. After hours of wild-goose chasing we finally found it at Topshop just across the road, and had it 'called in' for free. Wow, if getting freebies is that easy, I'm definitely in the right business.

I also interviewed a Britain’s Next Top Model evictee...

(chocolate, model's own)

Wrote copy for the website:

http://www.company.co.uk/fashion/news/london-fashion-week-carboutique?click=main_sr

...and watched from the window in hysterics as a (rather poor) David Beckham look-alike was pursued by an eager stampede of Soho-ites desperate to grab a glimpse of the imposter.



The rest of my time at Company was pretty varied, with tasks including a search for funny (or, rather, revolting) sex scenes in novels, wacky guiness world records broken this year and searching high and low for a female coctail blogger (surprisingly difficult, irrespective of the British booze culture - don't look at me like that, you know it's true). Following the theme of reticent drinkers, I had the somewhat challenging task of finding some young boozers willing to disclose embarrassing stories about drunken behaviour, not to mention a detailed list of the amount they drink per day around Christmas time. So yeah, nobody got back to me.


C'est la vie.



Back to the free stuff. There are treats galore for employees at Nat Mags to sample – each day my inbox was rammed with info about giveaways and taster sessions, everything from live Ken Hom cookery to Nintendo Wii demos; free samosa rolls from local restaurants and jars of Kate Moss jam (coming soon to a posh supermarket near you).



*shakes self* Focus woman! Enough with the free stuff and back to the writing. I pleasantly surprised the editorial team with my effortless ability to adopt the ‘Company tone’ when writing for the website – ("Like OMG, she writes like someone who actually owns an aviator jacket!!")

Now, this is gonna shock and disappoint a lot of people, but I don't actually own an aviator jacket *hangs head*

My final week was spend trawling the net in search of a beautiful house to be featured in the Back to Ours home showcase section. Special shout out to Kate at Catch22, real proof that the support from Catch is never-ending - as interiors are her thing I knew she'd be abale to help me out...and lo and behold, she recommended the fab home of print designer Jane Foster.



I also got to write an article for Nat Mag's internal newsletter the 'Broadwick Tweet', spreading the word about Catch22 (go team!)

A special thank you to Company's lovely Editor Vic White, the ever-attentive HR angel Tammy Platyes, features editor and multitasker extroardinaire Lena DeCasparis, and the rest of the editorial team.

I'm sure another great journo will be slotting into my space at Company soon, probably one who owns a pair of Manolos (whatever they are!)



She's hired!

:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment