Wednesday 16 June 2010

My Work Experience

It's a huge question: "where would you like to go for your work experience placement?"
This is the task for today.

Hmmm... (Thinks deeply) A few weeks ago we, the current Catchment, had to figure out where we think we belong in the industry, i.e. what area we want to write in. That was hard enough, but this takes things that little finicky step further.

Mid-task, I asked another Catch22-ee "If this is what I really want should I be finding this so hard??" She felt the same. But there is one thing i know for sure: I want to be challenged. I'm certain I'll learn a lot wherever I'm placed. Travel magazines appeal to me, as I'm a huge fan of travel and brilliant photography. And, I mean, there's always a chance they might send me here:



And before I can run to pack my luggage the news arrives: I have been put forward for Trinity Mirror and Company Magazine.

I can definitely work with that. The news-related tasks have been some of my favourite assignments on the course, so applying what I've learnt in a professional environment would be a great experience.



And Company magazine? Me? Am I seriously that lucky?? Wow.

This magazine has a campaigning heart that I truly admire - how many magazines can successfully place articles about beauty and fashion alongside a first person story about forced marriage and an interview with Alaistar Darling?? Now THAT is a skill.



So now the waiting begins. WHO will choose me? And will I get to contribute editorially?

One thing is for sure - in addition to my newly honed journalism skills, I had better learn how to make a decent cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment