Wednesday 2 June 2010

What's the Catch?

Welcome to the blogspot. Take off your shoes, get comfortable and make yourself at home (coasters, please).

In case you hadn't figured it out, I write. To me, writing is... writing is... something like this:



But more importantly, I think first (which is probably why it's taken me ages to come up with a post!) But I'm getting sharper - on the Catch 22 course greatness is the only option!

Let me explain...

Catch 22 is a journalism course for aspiring journos who don't have enough experience to get experience in the industry.

Before my initiation into this exclusive opportunity I spent my days saving the world through community initiatives and, of course, writing a little here and there. But, like many things in life, these opportunities weren't all they were cracked up to be..



As for my skills, they were ok-ish, but I felt something was missing; I needed more...

And then, I found Catch22!

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/biomdoc/access_services/yay-773135.jpg.gif

Since becoming a member of the Cath22 Academy I've been brushing up on my research skills, learning some new interview techniques and a working on my very own magazine feature.
It's been demanding, but I'm a grafter.

With professional journalists as our tutors (Shout-outs to Kate, Matilda and Simmy) the experience has been priceless.

From scouring the streets of Tottenham for a news story, to live court-reporting (and the less glamourous, yet potentially lucrative task of sub-editing) the experience has been a well rounded, practical voyage into the skills of journalism - and we're not even halfway through the course yet!

But don't just take my word for it, check out the last edition of the mag: http://www.catch22mag.com/magazine/download-issues

Impressed? You should be.

So, 5 weeks deep and I would recommend this course to any aspiring journalist who is serious about getting ahead in the industry. Like any challenge, it has been a little daunting at times...



But it will certainly be worth it in the end.

What's the catch?? HARD WORK!! Stick around to see if I pass the test...

No comments:

Post a Comment